Well, 2015 is now in the rearview mirror and we’re full speed ahead into 2016. I thought I’d take this opportunity to look back and review my goals for 2015 and see how well, or poorly, I did. You’ll also find some blog stats below – some of which I found pretty interesting. Barring any serious battles with laziness, I’ll be back in the coming days to post my 2016 goals and discuss where this blog is headed. Oh, and if you needed a reason to stick around, I’ve thrown in a few photos like this Snowy Owl from Outagamie County on 1/4/2016:
2015 Goals (Original post from 12/30/2014 can be read here: New Year = New Birding Goals):
- Year list (for Wisconsin) = 250
This will be a tough goal to hit, but one I hope to accomplish!
Well, I fell abysmally short of 250 in Wisconsin. It’s almost embarrassing to share my true number, but it is what it is. So without further ado, I came in at 204 species for 2015 in Wisconsin (shakes head). My consolation is that combined with my trip to Costa Rica my complete year list stands at 550.
- Lead Calumet County for the year
Well, I’m 2-for-2 in missing my goals so at least I’m 100% at something! I should note that this goal is based on eBird sightings as I know some birders who do not eBird, but still tally impressive numbers. In this goal I finished 4th with 122 species. My good friend and fellow NWBC member Dar led the county with a whopping 178 species! Congrats to Dar on an impressive county tally in 2015!!!
- Continue planting flowers for my hummingbird/butterfly garden
Well, this one I nailed. Ok, not nailed, but I need a win after failing on my first 2 goals. I did add to my hummingbird/butterfly garden by adding 5 Milkweed plants, 3 Butterfly Weed, another Joe Pye Weed and some more Coreopsis. Still have about half the garden to plant so even though I made progress, there is work to be done!
- Costa Rica – I will be going on my first birding specific vacation; two weeks of birding, birding, and more birding (more info to come, hopefully, in the following weeks).
Completed! What a great trip – you can read all my trip reports here: Costa Rica 2015 Trip Report
- Most importantly, spending time with the birds and not rushing to “tick” them off my year or life list.
I think I did a much better job with this, but I see it as a lifelong goal. So this will be something I will continue to work on year after year.
Two key blog statistics I’d like to share:
- Although most my sites visitors were from the U.S., Canada, and England, I did have visitors from 54 different countries in total!
- I finished with 39 posts in 2015! My target was one a week for a total of 52 so I officially did not meet my goal. However, I was pleased that I kept at it, although sporadically at times, throughout the year.
Finally, let me thank ALL of YOU for stopping by, reading, and commenting!!! It’s a lot of fun blogging when you know others are reading or at least viewing the photos and it’s even better when the discussions occur. So thank you for making 2015 a fun first year of blogging. I hope you each have a healthy, birdy 2016!! I should have my 2016 goals along with some updates posted in a few days, but until then, Bird It Up!